Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hell-o

It feels like its been quite a while since I have blogged. Things have been so busy and I just haven't been able to summon the energy to do much more than check email and The Perlman Pages, then off to cook, clean, feed the cows and to bed. Spring has to come soon. Plus, I thought that I was sick in 2006. Well, I was coming close to it here in '08. Today for some reason, I feel better and a lot more energetic, and less depressed. I guess now if I work through my issues at work I will be in pretty good shape if I can keep it up. Just keep it up, Cin. I want to try some yoga and see if that helps.

Karen is having some problems at Northgate too. Seems like things have gotten worse since I have gone and are now coming to a head. But Karen is strong and she can ride this out for as long as she needs to. I wish we lived closer and could see each other more often. She called me Friday night and I was pretty depressed and as soon as we started talking, I felt much better. It feels so good to be needed.

Yesterday was an AWFUL day. Chip had discovered a dead calf in the pasture on Friday and we knew we had to deal with it Saturday, but we werent prepared for what we found when we got there. I walked out to look at the body and the cow was acting really weird so I followed her into the shed where there was another dead calf. Holy crap. So we figured twins. Then we heard some bawling and there was another newborn calf, looking for her mother. So we got them all in the barn and did a head count. Michaela was the live calfs mother so we got them into a stall, but Micky had no milk and baby was hungry. Katie was missing, so I went looking for her while Chip fed. I found her in the woods with another dead newborn calf! Ok, something is very wrong here. These were all full term calfs, big and fully formed looking. So three dead, one live. I was afraid to even hope this one would survive. But we got some colostorum and bottle fed her last night and bedded her down. And miracle of miracles, she was on her feet and bawling up a storm this morning. Chip got her to drink nearly a whole bottle and she was trying to nurse on her mother. She was batting at her bag and sucking at her legs, so she is getting the idea. Now Micky just needs to let her milk down and feed that girl herself.

So we are doing ok for now and hopefully for good. My spirits have lifted and I think I will actually do some stretches today.

So time to go and get this day started. Now lets hope that I can work out this stupid block I have about work, and start ignoring the bad and enjoying the good. Mind over matter...if you don't mind, it don't matter.

Blessings to all.

2 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

its really depressing to read about the dead calfs.. dont worry you will tide through even this!

i have been meaning to write to but i never got time to do it...been burderned with work!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger  Cin said...

Raka, thanks. It is good to know you are thinking of me. Love always.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home