Friday, November 23, 2007

Turkey and Stuffing

Ah, America. We celebrate this holiday called Thanksgiving, which is supposed to honor the Pilgrims and Indians joining together for a feast and of course to remind us to be thankful for our blessings. But really, it just seems to be another day of consumerism. Stores are open, and the poor employees have to work rather than be with their families, all in the name of profits. Of course some people choose to work, which is fine, but more often than not it is manditory for them. I know, I have been there and I choose never to go back again. Having the day off yesterday and today is something I am thankful for. I love a good sale as much as anybody, but I have learned to curb my desire for any old junk just because it is marked down. Too much stuff just weighs you down and holds you back. Yesterday I was cooking with a blue plastic spoon that I have had for 17 years, and I didnt even buy it, it was left on the counter along with several other utensils when I bought my first house. Sure. I am tempted to get some of those great new inventions ( the Margharita Master anyone?) but am mature enough now to realize that if I even do open the box at all, I will probably only use the thing once or twice and then throw it in the closet and then several years from now uncover it and take it to Goodwill. Yup, I am trying hard to keep from collecting gadgets and widgets and all manner of things that just take up space and cost too much. My vice? Ron Perlman of course. Hey, I work hard and obviously save my money ( see the 17 year old spoon above ) so if I wanna get some Ron stuff, so be it. I must admit that I havent really procured anything lately. Ebay has had all the same stuff listed and Rons new movies have not been released yet, so there are slim pickins right now. But anyway, I am just trying to say that life is much easier when you live it simply. And if I agonize over a purchase, then it makes it that much more special to me if I do go ahead and buy it. Instant gratification is so overrated. And that brings us to this question... Should I use the money I have been saving to buy a laptop, or a great Dyson vacuum cleaner? Or maybe neither and just keep saving? Any advice?

My mom and dad came over and they seemed to enjoy the meal. That makes me feel good. Chip and I cooked the stuffing together as is our tradition and it turned out great as always. I would love to make it more often, but then it probably would not taste as good or be as special as it is just once a year. And today we got up and actually went out for breakfast and to Walgreens to get some reading glasses for Chip cause they had a special buy 1 get 2 free. And then we got some feed for the calves and came home and went to the farm and cut down some trees and started a fire to clean up. It was a really nice day. But I have felt like I am coming down with something for the last few days and this morning I woke up with a sore throat an am hoping I dont get a cold. Plus I have been in a bad mood too. But I felt much better yesterday and today was ok if it werent for the darn sore throat. Yesterday when my mom and dad got here, I poured a little Southern Comfort in my 7-up and that made my mood a whole lot better, especially when Annie got so excited that she peed on my mom and the kitchen floor that I had just mopped. Yeah, my life seems to revolve around some animals bodily fluids.

So tonight I believe that I will curl up with a book and rest. I am going to make a pot of vegetable soup tomorrow so that will be nice and warm and cozy. These last two days have just flown by, which stinks because we have been looking forward to having four days off. I love long weekends and getting lots of stuff done.

Karen had to work today and has been busy with craft shows and stuff, but I hope we can get together sometime soon. I cant wait to get started on Annies scrapbook. I need to take more pictures and to print out the ones I have already. And she is losing her baby teeth, so I am trying to get one of them.

Anyway, Blah, Blah, Blah, I have been going on and on. It was nice to mention Ron again, since I havent done so in quite some time. Haven't forgotten about you, buddy, just nothing new going on to talk about.

You all have a great night, and reflect on the things you are thankful for.

Love to all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home